0 Share Newsweek is a Trust Project member See more of our trusted coverage when you search. Prefer Newsweek on Google to see more of our trusted coverage when you search. First lady Melania Trump joked Thursday about her lengthy absence from the public spotlight, saying at the start of a White House Rose Garden event, "Good afternoon, I heard you missed me. Here I am."
Melania walked out of the White House with President Donald Trump for a “Fostering the Future” announcement, highlighting a new partnership between her foster care initiative, IndyCar, Fox Sports, Indiana University and Purdue University. The event was held ahead of this weekend’s Freedom 250 Grand Prix in Washington, D.C.
The appearance marks one of Melania Trump’s first major public events in more than a month and focuses on expanding scholarship and support opportunities for young people transitioning out of foster care.
Melania Trump was last seen in public on July 19 when she joined President Trump at the FIFA World Cup final at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey.
The first lady was photographed alongside Trump as they watched the championship match.
Melania Trump was last seen in public on July 19 when she joined President Donald Trump at the FIFA World Cup final at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey.
She was also seen at Trump's July 4 "Salute to America 250" celebration on the National Mall.
In June, she joined Trump at UFC Freedom 250 on the White House South Lawn, sitting ringside with members of the Trump family and UFC President Dana White during the historic event.
In April, she attended the White House Correspondents' Dinner, before the event was cut short by a security scare triggered by gunfire outside the venue.
Melania Trump was escorted by the Secret Service agents out of the ballroom, alongside the president and other top officials.
The U.S. Secret Service previously told Newsweek that it is aware of an Iran-linked video targeting Melania Trump , amid heightened tensions between Washington and Tehran.
The Secret Service indicated that threats directed at people under its protection are reviewed by the agency.
"The Secret Service is aware of the video and investigates anything that can be perceived as a threat toward our protectees," Nate Herring, a lead public affairs specialist with the U.S. Secret Service's Communications and Media Relations office, said. He added, "Out of concern for operational security, we do not discuss matters of protective intelligence."
There is no public indication that the first lady’s 25-day absence is linked to the reported Iranian threat, and the matter has not been linked by officials.
This is a breaking news article. Updates to follow.