This is one outlet's own report from The Straits Times — the article as it was filed. Other outlets are covering the same event; open the full story to compare every source side by side.
Sweden remands school sword attack suspect in custody
Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson (left) and Social Democratic Party leader Magdalena Andersson visiting the makeshift memorial for a 17-year-old girl who was killed by a man with a sword in Fagersta, Sweden, on Aug 22.
An 18-year-old man was remanded in custody for murder and attempted murder after a fatal sword attack at Brinell school in Fagersta, killing a 17-year-old girl and injuring three boys. The attacker had a previous assault conviction, carried a sword, and police are investigating his TikTok account and possible motives. Police have conducted around 80 interviews and plan to question nearly 450 students and staff, while searching two addresses linked to the suspect. AI generated
Stockholm – Swedish prosecutors said on Aug 23 that an 18-year-old man arrested during a fatal sword attack at a high school had been remanded in custody on charges of murder and attempted murder.
The alleged attacker entered the Brinell school in the small town of Fagersta on the afternoon of Aug 21 , just days after its students had returned from summer break. He was shot and arrested by police at the scene.
“The 18-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder in Fagersta on Aug 21 was remanded in custody on Sunday by the Vastmanland District Court, on probable cause suspected of the offences,” the Swedish prosecution authority said in a statement.
It added that the investigation was “in an early and intensive phase”.
Police on Aug 22 identified the one fatality in the attack as a 17-year-old girl.
Three boys were also wounded, two of them seriously.
The school was still cordoned off on Aug 23 , according to public broadcaster SVT.
Local police chief Tommy Alriksson told reporters on Aug 21 that investigators were seeking a motive.
“We are looking into several leads... We are trying, of course, to remain as open-minded as possible,” Alriksson said.
SVT reported that the perpetrator had a previous assault conviction and wore a helmet and carried a sword – reminiscent of a 2015 school attack in the western town of Trollhattan, in which a 21-year-old killed three people in a racially motivated attack.
Media reported a TikTok account belonging to the youth was being investigated. The account has been taken down.
AFP viewed the account before it was taken down and it had several videos referencing school attacks. The last update showed a photo of a sword.
On Aug 22 , officers had conducted around 80 interviews and were planning to question nearly all the school’s staff and students – almost 450 people – according to police chief Alriksson.
Two addresses linked to the attacker in Fagersta were also searched. AFP
AIPROPX is an independent multi-source news index — we track, compare, and connect coverage from across the web into one place you won't find anywhere else.