This is one outlet's own report from Deutsche Welle — the article as it was filed. Other outlets are covering the same event; open the full story to compare every source side by side.
https://p.dw.com/p/5IuyO Advertisement US President Donald Trump announced on Sunday that he ordered the Pentagon to "substantially reduce" joint military exercises with South Korea.
Trump wrote on Truth Social that the annual exercises are not only costly but "send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile" to North Korea, which he said has been "unthreatening and respectful" to the US.
His post comes as the US and South Korea are set to begin one of the two main annual drills this week.
South Korea has been a major US ally, with their relations having endured through seven decades of political changes.
Trump noted that South Korea declined to help with the US war against Iran and that he has a "very good relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
"While somewhat unrelated (?), I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, 'No thanks!'" Trump wrote.
"Therefore, and based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises!" Trump wrote.
The exercises, called Ulchi Freedom Shield, are scheduled to run from August 17 to 27.
The drills involve 18,000 South Korean soldiers, the South Korean military told the Associated Press.
The exercises were expected to include operations to counter drones, disrupt GPS signals and defend against cyberattacks to adapt to North Korea’s evolving capabilities.
North Korea has also been aiding Russia in its war against Ukraine by providing troops.
Trump's announcement comes days after North Korea reportedly fired ballistic missiles toward the sea.
Pyongyang last week threatened stern steps against the US and South Korea and called the summertime drills a "war rehearsal."
North Korea routinely denounces joint military exercises between the US and South Korea as dress rehearsals for an invasion.
But it's not clear what Trump's announcement will look like since the exercises were scheduled to begin the very next day.
If you rely on our team for trusted reporting, please take a moment to select us as your Preferred Source on Google , so you'll always see our verified news first.
TrumpSouth KoreaUS President Donald TrumpNorth Korea
AIPROPX is an independent multi-source news index — we track, compare, and connect coverage from across the web into one place you won't find anywhere else.