This is one outlet's own report from The Independent — the article as it was filed. Other outlets are covering the same event; open the full story to compare every source side by side.
See the full story · 9 sourcesThis is one outlet's own report from The Independent — the article as it was filed. Other outlets are covering the same event; open the full story to compare every source side by side.
See the full story · 9 sourcesHundreds of students were attending classes at the school when an 18-year-old with a sword attacked multiple people, police say
Bookmark Comments Go to comments Bookmark popover Removed from bookmarks
An 18-year-old with a sword attacked a school in central Sweden Friday, killing one person and seriously injuring two others, according to police.
The suspect in the attack at the school in the central town of Fagersta has been arrested, Police Chief Tommy Alriksson said at a news conference. He was wearing a helmet during the attack, SVT reported.
Shots were fired during the arrest, according to the TT news agency. Police found one victim dead as they entered the school to secure the premises.
The attack took place at the Brinell School in the city of Fagersta, northwest of the capital, Stockholm, while classes were in session for about 400 to 500 students, officials said.
There was no immediate word on the attacker's possible motive.
“We have no reason at this time to believe that there are multiple perpetrators,” said Alriksson, adding that an investigation was continuing.
Police spokesperson Pelle Vamstad, quoted by the TT news agency, said an alarm was received in the early afternoon Friday and that police rushed to the scene. He said officers would check any available camera footage for their investigation.
Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson, in a post earlier on the X social media platform, lamented the violence in Fagersta “right after the summer break.”
“We do not yet know what lies behind the act, but we know that the police are working very intensively,” he added. “Our thoughts are with all those affected.”
The Fagersta city government said it set up a crisis center in a sports hall near the school. The Vastmanland county government said “many people” were affected and that police, fire services, and healthcare workers were among those caring for them.
Several nearby schools had been locked down following the incident, and roadblocks were set up, authorities said.
Sweden suffered another school attack in February last year in Orebro , also in central Sweden, where a gunman killed 10 people before turning the weapon on himself. That was the worst mass shooting in Swedish history.
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies
AIPROPX is an independent multi-source news index — we track, compare, and connect coverage from across the web into one place you won't find anywhere else.