This is one outlet's own report from Gothamist — the article as it was filed. Other outlets are covering the same event; open the full story to compare every source side by side.
A non-profit newsroom, powered by WNYC. Gothamist Listen Live Donate News Manhattan middle school principal charged with sexually abusing kids By Ben Feuerherd Published Aug 19, 2026
Twitter Reddit Email Never miss a story Email address By submitting your information, you're agreeing to receive communications from New York Public Radio in accordance with our Terms . By Ben Feuerherd Published Aug 19, 2026
Twitter Reddit Email We rely on your support to make local news available to all Make your contribution now and help Gothamist thrive in 2026. Donate today
Gothamist is funded by sponsors and member donations
A Manhattan principal has been charged with preying on middle school students, sexually abusing at least two children over the course of more than a year, the Manhattan district attorney’s office said.
Eric Cato was indicted by a grand jury in Manhattan Supreme Court on eight counts, including sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a child, according to court documents. Police arrested Cato on Aug. 12, according to the NYPD.
Cato, who previously served as the principal of KIPP Washington Heights Middle School, abused children who attended the school during his tenure between October 2024 and March 2026, according to a Manhattan DA spokesperson and the indictment.
His youngest victim was under 13 years old, according to the indictment.
He’s also charged with endangering the welfare of a third student, the indictment states.
Cato’s attorney did not immediately return a request for comment.
A spokesperson for the school where Cato worked said he is no longer with the school. The spokesperson added that staff are focused on protecting the privacy of their students and ensuring a safe environment at the school.
In a statement, Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg said his office is still investigating the case alongside the NYPD and encouraged anyone with information to contact his office.
“As alleged, this principal abused his position to sexually abuse middle schoolers he was entrusted to mentor and keep safe,” Bragg said in the statement. “Our specially trained prosecutors and counselors can speak with children in a sensitive manner in a child-friendly space.”
The NYPD also requested additional victims contact the department, and said the Sex Crimes Hotline can be reached at 212-267-7273.
Correction: An earlier version of this story misquoted District Attorney Alvin Bragg. It has been updated. This story has been updated with comment from a spokesperson for KIPP Washington Heights Middle School.
Ben Feuerherd covers public safety and policing for WNYC and Gothamist. He previously covered federal courts for The New York Post and The Messenger. His work has also appeared in POLITICO, the Daily Beast and NBC New York. Got a tip? Email [email protected] .
Jessica Bowie, 35, had pledged support to the Islamic State, according to a complaint.
The nonprofit organization CAMBA reached a settlement agreement with Legal Aid over evictions of supportive housing tenants.
Catch up on the most important headlines with a roundup of essential NYC stories, delivered to your inbox daily.
Gothamist is a website about New York City news, arts, events and food, brought to you by New York Public Radio.
ManhattanCloseNew York CityNYPDEric CatoManhattan Supreme Court
AIPROPX is an independent multi-source news index — we track, compare, and connect coverage from across the web into one place you won't find anywhere else.