This is one outlet's own report from The Straits Times — the article as it was filed. Other outlets are covering the same event; open the full story to compare every source side by side.
See the full story · 9 sourcesThis is one outlet's own report from The Straits Times — the article as it was filed. Other outlets are covering the same event; open the full story to compare every source side by side.
See the full story · 9 sourcesUS President Donald Trump waves the green flag to start the race with First Lady Melania Trump at his side, during the Freedom 250 Grand Prix Race on the streets of Washington DC on Aug 23.
Listen WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump capped celebrations of the US 250th anniversary with a first-of-its-kind auto race through the streets of Washington, closing a summer of sports and spectacle as drivers sped past the capital’s iconic landmarks.
IndyCar’s Freedom 250 Grand Prix zoomed through the National Mall, past the US Capitol, down historic Pennsylvania Avenue and around the National Archives, in the marquee event on Aug 23 afternoon.
The race was expected to draw roughly 200,000 spectators, officials said, and tickets were free. Passes to private trackside clubs sold for US$5,000 (S$6,338).
Trump’s motorcade took an honorary loop around the race course before he waved the green flag to officially start the 402km race at about 1.18pm ET. Although the green flag at IndyCar events typically is waved atop a tower at the start/finish line, Trump remained in his presidential box for the start on Aug 23.
“I don’t know if anything will ever top what we’re going to be having,” Trump said in July as drivers visited the White House to celebrate the start of the race course’s construction.
The race is the latest in a series of sporting events Trump has used to celebrate the country and his second term, even as his approval rating has dropped to the lowest point since he returned to the White House in January 2025, and the US is embroiled in a war with Iran.
He opened the summer with a professional mixed martial arts bout on the South Lawn of the White House, then presented the trophy to FIFA World Cup champion Spain a month later.
Earlier in August, he appeared at the “Patriot Games,” a cross between a game show and track meet for high school athletes, televised on sports network ESPN.
For Trump, the events have served to raise his profile, both domestically and globally. The UFC fight card was streamed internationally, and during the World Cup trophy presentation, he lingered at mid-pitch while the Spanish team hoisted the trophy.
IndyCar driver Pato O’Ward, who races for Arrow McLaren, told the Fox News Sunday show he was feeling “pretty surreal” ahead of the race.
“We never thought that we were going to be racing here anytime in 2026,” O’Ward said. “Everyone’s excited that we’re here and, I mean, it’s a pretty picturesque backdrop.”
The Washington race has faced its share of criticism. The track was originally set to run through the grounds of the US Capitol, but the proposal required lawmakers’ approval and stalled in Congress.
Advertising is prohibited on Capitol grounds, and the race cars, with their dozens of corporate sponsors, along with trackside billboards, would have run afoul of those regulations.
Trump instead issued an executive order commanding Transportation Department officials to draw up a course that did not require congressional signoff.
Officials paused air traffic at Washington’s Ronald Reagan National Airport for three hours at midday on Aug 23 to accommodate the IndyCar event’s military flyovers, including one featuring a Boeing 747 jet often used as Air Force One, and another including what appeared to be a B-2 stealth bomber.
The city’s police closed major thoroughfares downtown due to pedestrian activity and security procedures.
Race officials said the city’s roads will not need much refurbishment before or after the race, in which drivers are expected to reach 298kph on the Pennsylvania Avenue straightaway.
The event has dozens of corporate sponsors, including major companies such as Boeing, SpaceX’s Starlink and Delta Air Lines that will be sponsoring an IndyCar race for the first time, Bud Denker, the Grand Prix’s chair and president of Penske Corp, said on Aug 20. REUTERS
AIPROPX is an independent multi-source news index — we track, compare, and connect coverage from across the web into one place you won't find anywhere else.