This is one outlet's own report from NBC News — the article as it was filed. Other outlets are covering the same event; open the full story to compare every source side by side.
See the full story · 10 sourcesThis is one outlet's own report from NBC News — the article as it was filed. Other outlets are covering the same event; open the full story to compare every source side by side.
See the full story · 10 sourcesFormer Rep. Eric Swalwell had his electronic devices seized and his D.C. home searched by the FBI over the weekend related to an investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against him, according to a person familiar with the matter. Swalwell was stopped by the FBI at the San Francisco airport on Saturday and his electronic devices were taken as part of the execution of a search warrant, the person said. Swalwell, a Democrat, resigned his California seat in April in the wake of multiple sexual misconduct allegations. Agents searched his home in Washington, D.C., the following day, the person said, adding that both actions are related to an investigation into the sexual misconduct allegations against Swalwell. An attorney for Swalwell did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Swalwell did not immediately respond to a request for comment. He has previously denied allegations of criminal wrongdoing. The FBI declined to comment on the matter. Swalwell was a leading candidate in the California gubernatorial race when the misconduct allegations became public in April. The first surfaced when the San Francisco Chronicle published an article on April 10 about a former Swalwell aide who said he had twice sexually assaulted her when she was too intoxicated to consent. The woman, who worked for the married Swalwell from 2019 to 2021, told the paper the encounters happened in 2019 and 2024. A source familiar with the woman’s account later confirmed to NBC News that the Chronicle’s reporting was accurate. The Chronicle article was followed a short time later by a CNN report on sexual misconduct allegations against Swalwell from four women, including one whose story matched details about the woman in the Chronicle article. One of the other three, Democratic influencer Ally Sammarco, said Swalwell sent her unsolicited photos of his penis. Sammarco confirmed her account to NBC News. Swalwell denied the accusations published by the Chronicle and CNN in a video on social media on April 10, saying, “These allegations of sexual assault are flat false.” “They did not happen. They have never happened. And I will fight them with everything I have,” Swalwell said at the time. Swalwell was hit with more allegations on the day of his resignation by model Lonna Drewes, who accused him at a press conference of having drugged, raped and choked her in a California hotel room in 2018. She filed a police report with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department after the press conference, saying she had not come forward earlier out of “fear — fear of his political power, his background as an attorney and his family law enforcement ties,” but that she now felt empowered by the bravery of Swalwell’s other accusers. Swalwell denied Drewes’ allegations as well. State investigators in California and New York were both investigating the accusations against Swalwell, since some of the conduct was alleged to have happened in both states. The Manhattan district attorney’s office declined comment on the federal searches. Washington, D.C., U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro posted on social media in April that she was looking into Swalwell’s conduct in the district. “I have created a tip line to receive information regarding alleged sexual or inappropriate conduct in D.C. by Congressman Eric Swalwell,” she wrote in an April 15 post on X. “Five women have made serious allegations against Congressman Eric Swalwell. I encourage anyone with credible information or complaints involving similar conduct in the District of Columbia to contact my office’s hotline,” Pirro added in a separate post. FBI Director Kash Patel posted a similar message on X seeking information about Swalwell. Swalwell had served in Congress since 2013 and was one of the impeachment managers in President Donald Trump’s 2021 impeachment on allegations that he incited the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol. Trump was later acquitted by the Senate.
AIPROPX is an independent multi-source news index — we track, compare, and connect coverage from across the web into one place you won't find anywhere else.