Only one outlet has reported this event so far — you're reading it below, credited to its source. AIPROPX is tracking the web for more coverage; as additional outlets confirm it, this becomes a full multi-source story automatically.
By AIPROPX Editorial Desk · Published · Updated
One outlet is reporting this so far. AIPROPX is tracking it and will gather every additional source as it develops — the full multi-source comparison appears automatically once a second outlet confirms it.

A midfielder has reportedly been told that be can also leave Manchester City
As of right now, Manchester City are short of midfield options ahead of the 2026-27 Premier League season getting under way this weekend. Looking at Enzo Maresca’s squad, there is Elliot Anderson, Mateo Kovacic, Rico Lewis, Nico O’Reilly, Phil Foden, Nico Gonzalez and Rayan Cherki who will form City’s midfield against Bournemouth. Rodri and Tijjani Reijnders left earlier this week, and Bernardo Silva departed when his contract expired at the end of the 2025-26 season. It has now been revealed that Nico Gonzalez has been informed that he can leave Manchester City. If that report is correct, yet another midfield option could leave Enzo Maresca’s squad.
Nico Gonzalez has reportedly been informed by Manchester City that he is free to leave the club.
Craig Hope of the Daily Mail has reported that Nico Gonzalez has been informed that he can leave Manchester City this summer. Furthermore, it is reported that Newcastle United maintains a strong interest in signing the Spanish midfielder and he is becoming open to the move. Lastly, it is also reported that some of Nico Gonzalez’s City teammates are trying to convince him to shun Newcastle’s interest and stay at City.
It is hard to pick exactly what the issue is with Nico Gonzalez that could see him leave City this summer.
If Craig Hope’s report is on the money, Nico Gonzalez is heading for an exit from Manchester City. He’d be another midfielder that City would have to replace. It is seemingly City’s plan to replace any player who leaves from this point onwards.
It does seem harsh that Nico Gonzalez has been told he can leave the FA Cup and Carabao Cup holders. The Spanish midfielder is the only number six in Enzo Maresca’s squad. Also, Nico Gonzalez showed during the first half of last season that he can play a role for this City team. He held down the fort superbly well while Rodri was out last season playing in Rodri’s role. So there is evidence that Nico is good enough to play in an Enzo Maresca side.
It is hard to see why Pep Guardiola cast Nico Gonzalez aside during the second half of last season. Enzo Maresca seems to prefer Mateo Kovacic in midfield rather than Nico. Maybe Nico isn’t thought to be physically strong enough to compete consistently in Manchester City’s midfield. Perhaps the issue is that Nico’s work in possession isn’t up to standard. I’m not sure what the issue but clearly there is something that the majority are missing.
Final thoughts.
The chances that Nico Gonzalez could leave Manchester City now seem to have increased exponentially. Especially if he has been told he is free to leave the club this summer. You do wonder what the issue with Nico Gonzalez as a player is. He is held in high regard by City fans so it is a puzzling situation.
Indexed and credited by AIPROPX. Originating outlet: Yahoo Sports. Open at source →
An original, deterministic readout — composed only from the computed coverage facts on this page. No interpretation, no rating; figures only.
AIPROPX has consolidated 1 report from 1 outlet into a single canonical entry on “A midfielder has reportedly been told that be can also leave Manchester City.” Every covered outlet is based in US.
The only timestamped report came from Yahoo Sports (Aug 22, 2026, 05:45 UTC).
Comparing the wording across sources, the phrase recurring most across the coverage is “manchester city”.
2 statements are carried by only one outlet within this set and are not echoed by the others.
Every figure above is a direct count of real published articles. AIPROPX indexes and compares the original reporting — it never rewrites, rates, or editorializes — and each publisher’s full article is always one click away.
Generated by AIPROPX from the source counts above. AIPROPX indexes and resolves coverage; the original publishers are credited and linked at origin in every report.
Coverage from 1 independent outlet across 1 region — each view opens on its own page.
AIPROPX — “A midfielder has reportedly been told that be can also leave Manchester City” · https://www.aipropx.com/story/85de015f082f3c2b1e783956b6d815e6
Other events being covered across multiple sources right now.
Trump says loyalist Ed Martin to leave the DOJ to focus on election-related legal battles
4 outletsParamount & State AGs Settlement Talks Set For Next Week; Gavin Newsom Says He Takes Paramount CEO’s Threat To Leave California…
3 outletsChatGPT has entered the group chat. Texters have…feelings about it.
3 outletsLiverpool Reportedly Have Second Minteh Bid of £60M Rejected
1 outletsDominion still has pending lawsuits against election deniers such as Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell
1 outletsTurn Your Rising Home Equity Into Cash You Can Use